Just inland from Hora is the village of Metaxada. Across the beautiful green valley is the Monastery of St. George which amazingly survived terrible fires that passed through these hills in 2007. The church is from the 13th century and is open only on feast days, but it is worth sitting in a kafenion in Metaxada and enjoying the view over the valley.
The Church of the Transfiguration, Mesochori Going towards Methoni from Pylos, the first left turn takes you to the village Mesochori. The village church is from the Byzantine period and still has some original paintings to see inside. If it is locked, someone in the village may be able to help with the key just ask around! Church of the Apostles and the Square March 23, Kalamata Both mark the centre of the Old Town.
The church is in fact an amalgam of two churches, the first dates from the 2nd century and has part of a fourth century frescoe intact. The Pantocrator in the dome is in good condition, while just below the Ascension of Christ is visible. The larger domed basilica iwas added during the second Venetian period (1685-1815). Kolokotronis, the leader of the revolution against the Turks, was sworn in here before starting his campaign.
Church of the Holy Trinity, Proastio Above the main square, the Church of the Holy Trinity is a post-Byzantine church with frescoes that date back to 1745. Because there is no dome, the Pantocrator is in the centre of the single vault otherwise everything else is in standard position. Visitors should note the Crucifixion above the entrance door.
As you enter the church in the middle of the southern wall (right) is a rare scene that shows the Archangels Michael and Gabriel having just saved a drowning child from a number of monks in a boat, who had just thrown him in with a millstone around neck – this is consistent with the Painters Manual. On the same wall over a window is a long inscription which was written by the artist, and includes instructions to keep the church clean!